One of my favorite booktubers, Sam over at Novels and Nonsense, did this tag a couple of weeks ago, and although she is a much more ardent lover of classics than I, I definitely number a bunch among my favorites. If you'd like to see the video, complete with plenty of explanatory tangents: Classics Tag Video
So here we go!
The Classics Book Tag (originated by http://itsabooksworld.booklikes.com/post/1104267/the-classics-booktag-original)
1. An overhyped classic you really didn't like:
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger & anything by Jane Austen (seriously. I really hate her work)
2. Favorite time period to read about
Victorian England...if only because I love steampunk time travel and sci-fi
3. Favorite fairy tale
Alice in Wonderland
4. What is the most embarrassing classic you haven't read yet
[Note: I am not actually embarrassed about this. I don't subscribe to that whole notion of "if you haven't read this particular set of books, you suck and are a moron." More about that in another post.]
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
5. Top 5 classics you would like to read (soon)
- Maus and Maus II by Art Spiegelman
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes [actually a reread]
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller [also a reread]
- Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
6. Favorite modern book/series based on a classic
The Triologia Victoriana by Felix J. Palma
7. Favorite movie version/tv series based on a classic
The Time Machine [Note: The original version from 1960 starring Rod Taylor]
Little Women [both the 1949 version starring Elizabeth Taylor as Amy and the 1994 version starring Winona Ryder as Jo]
Bride and Prejudice [Yes, I hate Jane Austen, but I LOVE musicals and Bollywood. This is one of the only 2 good things that came out of Austen's work. The other is zombies.]
8. Worst classic to movie adaptation
The 2002 version of The Time Machine [This was an abomination unto the time travel gods.]
9. Favorite edition(s) you'd like to collect more classics from
There are 3 sets I think are gorgeous, but I don't want the entirety of any of them. Weird, I know.
- the Word Cloud editions. There are at least 7 I want of these.
- Puffin in Bloom. Unless they release more of these, I really only want Little Women.
- Penguin Drop Caps. I think I counted 3 or 4 of these I'd like to own.
10. An underhyped classic you'd recommend to everyone
I chose 4:
- H.G. Well's The Time Machine. My favorite of all time which seems to get the shaft. None of the pretty editions of classics ever have this book in them.
- Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness
- Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter
- John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath
Well, there ya go! I'm trying my best to do coordinating blog posts with my videos, but you see how well that is going. Oh, well, A for effort, yeah?