Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I Am the Dinosaur in the Library.

Greetings and welcome! If you have wandered in, the truth is you probably know me irl...but if by some chance you don't, let me give you a bit of an introduction.  I'm Dawn, 33, current Master's student in Florida State's Library Science program, and one of the biggest book geeks you will ever meet.  In addition to all this, I work for Scholastic Book Fairs, whose primary purpose (aside from profits) is to promote children's literacy.  After gathering Bachelor's like flowers (3 total--in Religion, Women's Studies, and Creative Writing with minors in Women's Studies, Religion, and Latin), I ended up studying to be a librarian, with a focus in children's and youth service.  The long term plan is to get my Master's and Ph.D and be a librarian in a public library setting, possibly a kid's librarian.  Ideally, I would like to work in a rural area or in other areas where I could assist low SES patrons...that's the official academic plan.  The "What I Wanna Do When I Grow Up" answer is: be some kid's superhero the way my town librarians were mine; also, to be the Pagemaster.

Hey, you don't know! It could be a thing!

...which brings me to this blog.  Despite my love of my laptop, phone, and most things fabulous and technological, I am hopelessly in love with real, paper books.  I unapologetically miss the card catalog.  Though I've read a few, I think e-books are a thing of evil.  Just the other day, I told my wife how much easier an assignment would have been if I'd used a regular old encyclopedia rather than digging through government information websites.  Bad person? Nah, just the dinosaur in the stacks.  Page dog-earers beware!


No comments:

Post a Comment